VENUES SOUTH WEST
Dorchester Arts is part of a network of venues and organisations in the South West who support artists, working together to enable quality work, better communication and touring in the region to develop the South West theatre sector, led by Salisbury Playhouse and The Bike Shed Theatre, Exeter.
We have supported some wonderful theatre and dance companies over the years, not least Angel Exit Theatre and DT2 Productions. It’s becoming a more and more important part of our work, and we are convinced that being part of this network will help with that.
Over the last year, we’ve been meeting and discussing ways in which we can work together to better support artists.
The Venues South West Routes In document is the first outward step in that process. It is a direct rip off (with their permission!) of the fantastic Venues North Routes In document. Containing venue and organisation contact details and programming information, it is an attempt to make getting in touch with venues that little bit easier.
You will find information about us in here, as well as about the other venues in the network. We hope you enjoy it!
To help you get an even better handle on our venue, here’s a basic floorplan of our main performance space at Dorchester Corn Exchange:
See below to take a Virtual Tour of the Corn Exchange. Click on the six dashes next to the + sign, then select Corn Exchange from the drop-down menu to see the space where most of our performances take place. And don’t worry, we do have seats. And a stage. And lights. And sound. Ignore the capacity information, by the way, as that’s for conference hires etc: our capacities for different styles of performance are listed in the Routes In doc above.
VENUES SOUTH WEST AIMS and OBJECTIVES
- Support for artists is at the heart of what we do.
- Keeping open dialogue with artists to serve the needs of the theatre making community.
- Pooling knowledge and sharing resources to give space, time, advice and to present, co-present and co-produce work, opening up new circuits for rural, small scale and mid-scale work
- Raising the profile of the region – creating a quality brand of South West work which has national recognition.
- Supporting the creation of high quality new work from regional companies and championing this work through advocacy opportunities.
- Co-promoting work and sharing opportunities for marketing and publicity.
- Opening up communication between venues & venues and venues & artists.
- Putting artists in touch with each other to develop peer networks.
- Creating a space where artists and venues can meet and have conversations.
- Making venue contact details more accessible and enabling approaches to venues to be more targeted.
- Advocating best practice within the network.
- Looking at and interrogating existing touring models.
- Sharing of knowledge to support staff development and learning
Venues and organisations who programme live performances (not solely music) in the South West.
Organisations committed to supporting and/or programming artists from the South West.
Commitment to the aims and values of the network.
Attendance at meetings and responsibility for involvement within the network.